Getting Organized: Part II
October 23, 2014
By now you have read the first part of our Getting Organized in Ogdensburg series. You have packed with a purpose, made a floor plan and learned how to use space creatively. Here are the next steps to take in getting organized.
STEP 1 – Deciding on a Storage Unit
- Now that you have taken inventory of what you have and made a plan of how you want to arrange it, it should be pretty clear to you what size you need your new storage unit to be.
- Think about whether or not you may need to add things to your unit at a later date. If you will, or if that is a good possibility, then it would be smart to go with a unit that is slightly bigger than you need right now so that you can ‘grow into it’.
- On the other hand, if you are in a situation where you know you will not need any extra room, then go with a unit that is as close to the total square footage of your items as possible.
- Think about whether or not you need an Ogdensburg, NJ climate-controlled unit or a traditional storage unit. Please don’t hesitate to ask our knowledgeable staff here at AA-1 Self-Storage for guidance to ensure that you are getting what you need and maximizing your available space – we are here to help!
STEP 2- Make sure you pack the moving truck or van correctly.
- Items that are going to be placed in the front of the unit need to be loaded into the truck or van first. You will make your life much easier by packing things into the moving truck the OPPOSITE way of how you will pack them into your unit.
- All the large items that are going in the back of the unit and along the walls should be loaded onto the truck last, as you will want to unload them first.
- When you are stacking boxes, put heavier boxes on the bottom of the stack and lighter ones on top. This makes the stack much more stable.
- Many people don’t think about this, and end up having to unload the entire truck first so they can pack the storage unit correctly (and according to the plan they created).
Step 3 – Making Your Move
- When the time finally comes to actually move into your unit, stick to your plan. If you find that you have to stray from it then make sure to make a note of it so that you won’t be confused later.
- Lastly, make sure you have a copy of your floor plan that has been updated with any changes you had to make as you went along. Keep this so that you can easily find things when you need to retrieve anything from your storage unit in the future.
Making sure you have kept everything organized at every step of the process will ensure that you have a great experience with your AA-1 Self-Storage Unit!
Check out Part I of our Getting Organized series here for more great self storage, Sparta NJ tips!
AA1Self Storage provides self storage, storage units, moving storage, and secure storage in Southern, Ogdensburg, New Jersey